Table of Contents
The fragrant capsular fruit of an Indian herb (Elettaria cardamomum) of the ginger household with seeds used as a spice or dressing and in medication. 
Cardamom is an herb. The seeds are used to make medicine.
Cardamom is used for digestion issues including heartburn, intestinal spasms, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), intestinal tract gas, constipation, liver and gallbladder complaints, and loss of appetite. It is also used for common cold, cough, bronchitis, aching mouth and throat, and tendency towards infection. Some individuals use cardamom as a stimulant and for urinary issues.
In foods, cardamom is used as a spice in lots of parts of the world.
How does it work?
Cardamom includes chemicals that appear to treat stomach and digestive tract convulsions and gas, and increase the movement of food through the intestinal tract. 
History of Cardamom – The queen of spices
Cardamom is known to be among the oldest spice known in the history of Humanity. A wild plant initially found in the Western Ghats of South West India. It comes under the household of ginger and process many medical values. It was a native produce of the forest and was thought about as a natural wild plant, which was collected by the tribal community during their commute through the jungle for food. It was sun-dried and traded villagers for cloth and salt. The villagers close to the forests bought it to merchants who took it to the port and traded to a maritime sailor who arrived at various ports on the Malabar coast. It was from here that it reached numerous civilization that existed throughout various eras in the history of humankind. A few of the known trade routes from the hills to the ports were.
Numerous believe that cardamom was a crop that arrived the Indian mainland from other parts of the world, similar to how rubber and vanilla got here in the subcontinent. However, the reality stays that cardamom is quite native to the high series of the Western Ghats which is one of the top biospheres hot spots on the planet. Many historic books have discussed about cardamom from the upper ranges of the contemporary South India. Chanakya wrote Arthashatra, the counselor of Chandragupta Maurya written in fourth century BC has talked about explicitly cardamom as “A green pearl discovered in the banks of the river Periyar in the South West mountains” they used to call is “Chaurnayam.” Amarakosha – a vocabulary of Sanskrit roots composed by “Amarasimha,” a Buddhist who lived throughout the 8th century advertisement, has mentioned different names of cardamom. There has been reference of cardamom utilized as a medical component in numerous Ayurveda books since 1000 BC. Cardamom is locally called “Elam” or “Ellakka,” it dates back to the Dravidian roots where it was called “El” later due to the impact of the Sanskrit language, over the years it ended up being “Ela” (Ae-la). The word Ela was absorbed into other South Indian languages as “Yela Kulu” in Telugu, “Ellaki” in Kanada and “Ellakkai” in Tamil. The taxonomic name of green cardamom – “Elettaria Cardamom” was obtained with a combination of “Ela” and “Kardamum” – the Greek word.
Usings cardamom have been taped considering that the Pyramid age of Egypt and have pointed out in many historic books. The Egyptians utilized it as a medical component, a mouth freshener and even as a prime ingredient for the preparation of oils that were applied to the mummification process. Some accounts mention the pointing out of aromatic oils in the Bible is thought about to be prepared with the base as cardamom. Cardamom reached the Romans and the Greek by means of Arabia. Amomum and Kardamum refer to the cardamom that came from the southern Hills of the modern day India. Kardamum has actually been mentioned in the works of Plutarch and Hippocrates – who is thought about to be the father of contemporary medication. Pedanius Dioscorides, the Greek doctor who lived during advertisement 40 to 90, wrote a series of books named materia medica, in which the medicinal qualities of cardamom are effectively elaborated. Traders from Babylonians, Mesopotamians, and Assyrian had excellent maritime trade relations with the Malabar coast where cardamom trade was really prominent during various stages of ancient business. Babylonians used cardamom for their spiritual ceremonies. Cardamom tea and coffee were unique preparations throughout excellent Arab feasts. Cardamom was an item that numerous kings utilized as an offering to other kings throughout their political check outs.
Cardamom was thought about to be a precious green gem for numerous civilizations, mostly due to its deficiency and its original medical and aromatic values which were found given that ancient times. The problems to reach it far and large lands made it more valuable. 
Nutritional worth of cardamom
Cardamom includes several minerals and vitamins, as well as some fiber. It is likewise really low in carbohydrates and calories.
According to the Department of Farming, one tablespoon of ground cardamom contains the following nutrients:.
- calories: 18
- overall fat: 0.4 grams (g)
- carbohydrates: 4.0 g
- fiber: 1.6 g
- protein: 0.6 g
It also consists of the following amounts of minerals and vitamins:.
- potassium: 64.9 milligrams (mg)
- calcium: 22.2 mg
- iron: 0.81 mg
- magnesium: 13.3 mg
- phosphorus: 10.3 mg 
What Are The Health Advantages Of Cardamom?
Cardamom assists enhance digestive health and avoids certain severe conditions like cancer. It likewise helps in diabetes treatment and helps you deal with depression. You can include cardamom in your diet as you typically do or even take cardamom milk (also called elaichi milk) to obtain the wondrous advantages.
1. Improves Digestive Health
According to an Indian study, cardamom can be utilized in cuisines not just for taste, however also for enhancing digestion. The spice also stimulates metabolic process, given its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory residential or commercial properties.
Cardamom is also known to stimulate the secretion of bile acid in the stomach, further assisting in digestion and correct fat metabolism. The spice also prevents other gastrointestinal ailments like acid reflux, heartburn, diarrhea, and so on 2. Promotes Heart Health
Its antioxidant properties can promote heart health. Cardamom also includes fiber, the nutrient that can help lower cholesterol levels and improve heart health.
The spice likewise can lower high blood pressure levels– and this benefits the heart. Merely have a concoction of a teaspoon of coriander and a pinch of cardamom together with a cup of freshly squeezed peach juice.
Black cardamom appears to work far better than its green cousin when it pertains to heart health. One research study performed on clients with ischemic heart disease had their plasma lipid profiles and antioxidant status and fibrinolytic activity (a procedure that avoids blood clots from growing and causing problems) improving post the ingestion of black cardamom.
As per a report by the Harvard Medical School, cardamom is among the active ingredients heart specialists typically consist of in their dinners.
3. Help In Cancer Prevention
Cardamom has displayed its prospective as a natural cancer treatment. A number of animal studies have shown that the spice can be used to prevent, delay, and even reverse cancer development.
As per one Saudi Arabian research study, administration of cardamom powder had lowered the incident of growths. Cardamom likewise reduces general swelling, which inhibits the development of cancer cells and encourages their death. Another Saudi Arabian study mentions that cardamom has the prospective to deal with forestomach cancer.
The spice had likewise shown preferable impacts on chemically induced colorectal cancer in mice.
4. Has Diuretic Residences
Cardamom has diuretic residential or commercial properties that can benefit cases of hypertension, heart failure, and epilepsy. These diuretic residential or commercial properties of cardamom likewise help in detoxing.
5. Assists Fight Depression
According to a health report, cardamom can indeed assist people cope with depression. Simply powder a few seeds of cardamom and boil them in water along with your everyday tea. Take the tea regularly for better outcomes.
6. Battles Asthma
Cardamom contributes in battling asthma signs like wheezing, coughing, shortness of breath, and tightness in the chest. The spice makes breathing easier by improving blood flow within the lungs. It also fights related swelling by calming the mucous membranes.
Another report says that green cardamom can be utilized to treat asthma, bronchitis, and many other breathing issues.
7. Help In Diabetes Treatment
Cardamom is incredibly rich in manganese– a mineral that can lower the risk of diabetes. However, a lot more research is required in this aspect.
8. Improves Oral Health
Cardamom has antimicrobial properties that boost oral health. Cardamom can secure versus oral pathogens like Streptococci mutans. The pungent taste of cardamom even promotes the salivary circulation– and this can assist avoid dental caries.
Cardamom can likewise work well in dealing with halitosis. Particularly when you take a mix of spices, consisting of the seeds of anise, cardamom, and fennel– foul breath wouldn’t be an issue any longer.
9. Improves Cravings
One Polish study emphasizes on the use of cardamom for treating an absence of hunger. Even cardamom oil can be used as a cravings stimulant.
Cardamom can likewise help in the treatment of histoplasmosis– a condition in which among the symptoms is a lack of hunger.
10. Decreases High Blood Pressure Levels
According to an Indian research study, cardamom effectively decreases high blood pressure. You can merely consist of cardamom in your soups and stews or perhaps baked products to keep your high blood pressure levels in check.
11. Improves Sexual Health
Cardamom is a proven aphrodisiac. The spice is rich in a compound called cineole, and simply a small pinch of cardamom powder can release nerve stimulants and fuel your enthusiasms.
Some reports state that cardamom can likewise treat impotence. Additional research study is necessitated.
12. Can Deal With Missteps
Cardamom has muscle-relaxing properties, and these can help eliminate missteps. All you require to do is include a teaspoon of cardamom powder to hot water. Let it steep for about 15 minutes. Stress and consume gradually.
13. Assists Reward Sore Throat
A mix of cardamom, cinnamon, and black pepper can work wonders for treating an aching throat. While cardamom soothes the sore throat and lowers inflammation, cinnamon offers anti-bacterial security. And black pepper improves the bioavailability of the two ingredients. You can take 1 gram each of cardamom and cinnamon powders, 125 mg of black pepper, along with 1 teaspoon of honey. Mix all ingredients and lick the mixture thrice a day.
Cardamom likewise has actually been discovered to reduce queasiness and prevent throwing up. In one study, test subjects who were provided cardamom powder revealed less frequency and period of nausea and less frequency of throwing up.
14. Prevents Blood Clots
According to the Central Food Technological Research Study Institute in India, cardamom includes numerous parts that alleviate embolism. But yes, appropriate research study is doing not have in this aspect.
What Are The Advantages For The Skin?
The skin benefits of cardamom can be credited to its antibacterial and antioxidant homes. The spice assists treat skin allergic reactions and enhances skin complexion. It can also be utilized as a tool to cleanse the skin.
15. Improves Skin tone
One of the advantages of cardamom is that it can give you reasonable skin. Cardamom essential oil helps in eliminating imperfections, thus providing you a fairer complexion.
You can either buy skin care products including cardamom or its vital oil. Or you can just mix cardamom powder with honey and apply it as a face mask.
16. Enhances Blood Circulation
Cardamom contains vitamin C, which is an effective antioxidant. It improves blood circulation throughout the body. Also, the many layers of phytonutrients in the spice can enhance blood circulation– which inevitably boosts skin health.
17. Deals With Skin Allergies
18. Imparts Fragrance
Cardamom is frequently utilized in cosmetics to impart fragrance. Due to its distinct spicy, sweet scent, both cardamom and cardamom oil are utilized in fragrances, soaps, body washes, powders, and other cosmetics. Asian design perfumes and other scented products frequently utilize cardamom as a component in addition to other necessary oils.
19. Provides Therapeutic Advantages To The Skin
Cardamom can be utilized in skin care items for antiseptic and anti-inflammatory functions to calm and relieve the skin, thanks to its healing effects. When added to fragrances, it can promote the senses. Facial soaps utilize cardamom to impart a warming sensation to the skin. These cosmetics using cardamom for healing factors are known as aromatherapy products.
20. Functions As A Great Masking Agent
The strong aroma of cardamom can fend off undesirable odors. This makes it a great addition to cosmetic products, such as toners, that serve a particular function however smell unattractive due to the inclusion of certain active ingredients. Cardamom is added to these items to mask the undesirable aroma while retaining the advantage of the cosmetic.
21. Offers Lip Care
Cardamom essential oil is often contributed to cosmetics that are applied to the lips (such as lip balms) to impart the taste of the oil and make the lips smooth.
You can just use the oil to your skin before you go to sleep and clean it off in the early morning.
22. Helps You Accomplish Clear Skin
Black cardamom helps in eliminating the toxins that could otherwise damage your skin. Chewing some black cardamom cleanses your body, thus providing you with clearer skin.
What About The Advantages For Hair?
Cardamom can add to improved hair growth and the treatment of specific scalp concerns.
23. Nourishes Your Scalp
The antioxidant homes of cardamom, and specifically the black type, nourish your scalp and enhance its health. The spice likewise nourishes the hair follicles and improves hair strength. You can clean your hair with cardamom water (mix the powder with water and use prior to shampoo) to attain the desired results.
The antibacterial properties of the spice even treat scalp infections, if any.
24. Enhances Hair Health
This is a provided. Improved scalp health most often implies stronger and better-looking hair. The spice reinforces your hair roots and offers shine and appeal to your hair.
These were the advantages. A simple spice can transform your health, provided you take it regularly. And now, we have an essential concern to resolve– what is the distinction between cardamom and coriander? To start with, why should we care about such a contrast?
Cardamom Vs. Coriander– What’s With The Contrast?
The two are spices with similar advantages (which is why we are interested in this comparison). Like, state, the two are used to treat high blood sugar level, high blood pressure, and other digestion issues. Also, cardamom and coriander are 2 of the five digestive spices pointed out in Ayurveda. The other three are cumin, ginger, and fennel.
But there are a few aspects on which the two spices differ.
|Made from the seed pods of plants in the ginger family||Originates from the seeds of the cilantro plant|
|Is thought about a warming spice||Is thought about a cooling spice|
|Is native to Southern Asia and India||Is native to the Mediterranean and parts of Southern Europe|
|Guatemala is the largest producer since today||India is the largest producer since today|
|Utilized as a remedy for bad breath and asthma||Utilized to prevent food poisoning|
25 Ways to Use Cardamom
Using spices like cardamom truly helps me believe outside package and play with brand-new tastes and foods that I usually do not prepare. Cardamom is a staple in Indian and Middle Eastern cuisines (try it as a flavoring for coffee or in some mulled red wine) and likewise plays a huge part in Swedish cooking, which appears strange up until you learn that it was restored from what is now Turkey to Scandinavia by Viking explorers. Cardamom was utilized as a breath freshener by the ancient Egyptians and a gastrointestinal help in conventional Indian medicine, however most notably, it’s tasty– warm and sweet in a manner that sets well with numerous savory dishes (think poultry, curries and all kinds of rice meals) and is especially great as we head into the crisp days of fall. If you’re using the whole pods, gently toast them in a dry pan over medium heat until they start smelling fragrant. From there you can utilize whole or toss in a spice grinder. Cardamom is among the world’s most pricey spices, 2nd only to saffron. A little bit of this pungent spice packs a punch however, so do not fret about having to utilize your entire stock in one meal. Integrate cardamom into your weekly routine with these 25 recipes:
- Your next weekend cooking task has arrived: Pistachio-Crusted Chinook Salmon with Ginger-Cardamom Yogurt Sauce, Glazed Beets and Grilled Summer Squash. Although this dish consists of a number of pieces, none are overwhelmingly complicated.
- Aarti Sequeira rehydrates dates in brandy for her Date, Pistachio and Cardamom Cake (visualized above), adding a bit of bite to contrast the sticky sweetness of the dates.
- Simply when you believe creme brulee can’t be improved upon, in comes Banana and Cardamom Creme Brulee.
- Southmoreland Plum Kabobs with Cardamom Sugar Rub may just be the easiest (and most tasty) dessert you will ever make. Sprinkle plum kabobs with cardamom sugar rub, then grill and consume!
- Make easy Cardamom-Orange French Toast for a weekend reward. Aida Mollenkamp utilizes French batard bread, which resembles a baguette, however a little shorter and squatter (like a squished football). If you can’t find any batard, replacement brioche and even ciabatta.
- Roasted Pears with Cardamom Granola and Vanilla Ice Cream is a simple dessert, however substitute vanilla yogurt for ice cream and you have actually got yourself an elegant breakfast for a crowd.
- Subtly sweet Meyer Lemon Cardamom Crinkle Cookies might simply become your go-to cookie dish. A cross in between the common lemon and a Mandarin orange, Meyer lemons are a little sweeter than their traditional counterparts.
- Cardamom is a great infuser for alcohol. Add it to your mulling spices for mulled wine, or try it in an Orange Cardamom Bellini. If you wish to get your molecular gastronomy on, check out Nadia’s Cardamom Blood Orange Mojitos with Sugary Food Basil Caviar (or just muddle some basil and stop). Thai basil is a sweeter and spicier range of basil with purple stems (and in some cases leaves). You can often discover Thai basil at Asian markets, however if not available, sweet basil will be a near-perfect sub.
- Aarti Sequeira sets chicken with orange and cardamom in two classic dinners: I Ain’t Chicken Chicken: Crispy Roasted Chicken Breasts with Orange and Cardamom and Roasted Chicken Breasts with Orange, Cardamom and Turmeric.
- Cardamom-Stewed Chickpea and Tomato Ragout is a terrific vegetarian side dish for Meatless Monday, particularly coupled with something significant like grilled eggplant steaks.
- If I still have not encouraged you that lamb is worthy of a shot, attempt Roger Mooking’s Cardamom Marinated Lamb Chops with Pear Chutney, Cilantro Cous and Tomato Yogurt Salad.
- Move over cupcakes; rice pudding is the new “it” dessert. Get in on this scrumptious pattern with some spicy ranges: Tres Leches Rice Pudding, Vanilla Rice Pudding with Glazed Oranges, Orange-Cardamom Madeleines and Orange Sabayon, Immediate Rice Pudding with Cinnamon, Cardamom and Blueberries and Rice Pudding with Green Tea Apple Sorbet and Chili Pineapple.
- Cardamom Vanilla Bean Ice Cream just yells autumn and pleads to be paired with Pumpkin Pie Pinwheel Cookies.
- Deep Dish Cheese Pie is a sweet, spicy cheese pie made with farmer cheese, which resembles (and can be substituted by) cream cheese. It’s truly a variation of cottage cheese, just pressed and strained further.
- Get the last of the summertime stone fruits and make this Apricot Jam Dish with Noyaux, Spices and Bourbon. The noyaux is the little seed inside of an apricot pit; involved cheesecloth with spices like peppercorns, cardamom, cinnamon and cloves, the noyaux adds lots of flavor to your jam.
- So you’ve simply gone apple picking and now have the urge to bake apples in everything? Do it with Apple Crumble with Cardamom-Vanilla Caramel Sauce.
- Jamie Oliver incorporates lots of Swedish tastes, like cardamom, into his brioche-like Sexy Swedish Buns, which are then both filled and topped with mashed blueberries.
- Grill up an unique dinner like Thai Marinated Grilled Chicken Skewers with a peanut coconut sauce that the whole household will take pleasure in. Marinade the chicken over night for lots of taste and a no-prep supper.
- Gulab Jaman is a fried Indian dessert made with ghee (a type of clarified butter) and soaked in a sweet spiced syrup.
- Moroccan-Style Fruitcake with Apricots, Dates and Figs makes use of phyllo dough instead of standard pie crust. Always leading thawed phyllo dough with moist paper towels when not in use to prevent drying it out.
- The Fabulous Beekman Boys’ Pineapple-Glazed Shrimp is tossed in a mix of garam masala, coriander, salt, sugar and cumin prior to heading to the grill. Garam masala is an Indian spice mix that differs in structure, but is typically made up of warm sweet and hot spices like cinnamon, cardamom and black pepper.
- Nigella Lawson’s Cornbread Topped Chile con Carne makes use of lots of warm Middle Eastern spices to change up a game-day classic.
- As we have actually currently established, cardamom is a popular spice in Swedish food, so it needs to be no surprise that a person of the most renowned Swedish meals, meatballs, features the spice: Swedish Cardamom Meatballs.
- Michael Chiarello’s simple dessert, Zinful (Sinless) Poached Peaches with Cardamom Yogurt, sweetens up Greek yogurt with cardamom for a healthy extravagance.
- Cardamom coffee is a staple in Middle Eastern foods. Take it to the next level with a Cardamom Coffee and Cream Granita. 
9 Surprising Cardamom Side Effects for Females
Cardamom Side Effects
The primary concern with using cardamom is that there is inadequate info about its safety when used in amounts higher than those used for cooking functions. Cardamom can be taken orally as an extract or powder when utilized at these doses. It must be avoided in pregnant females due to the absence of known results during pregnancy.
Cardamom has actually also been applied directly to the skin. There is not enough trusted information about the security of using it on the skin at dosages greater than those discovered in foods.
Adverse effects in women include irritation and soreness if used directly to the skin and diarrhea if taken by mouth.
Extreme usage of cardamom can lead to diarrhea and dehydration. According to the book “Healing Spices: How to Utilize 50 Every Day and Exotic Spices to Boost Health and Beat Disease,” taking in big quantities of cardamom may produce flatulence-inducing effects. Take 2 grams of cardamom in capsule form every day to get its benefits without needing to fret about adverse effects.
The U.S. National Institutes of Health reports that queasiness is one of the possible adverse effects of consuming high quantities of cardamom. Nausea typically takes place when an individual consumes more than 1 gram each day of the spice. Make certain to follow your medical professional’s directions if you are taking cardamom as a supplement so you do not exceed this amount.
According to the NIH, too much cardamom can also trigger dizziness. Cardamom is a spice that may have an influence on your health and well-being, with prospective benefits such as enhancing your digestion. However these benefits come with negative effects when consumed in high doses. The caffeine in cardamom may also become bothersome if you eat excessive of the spice and are sensitive to caffeine. Possible side effects of consuming large quantities of cardamom consist of headaches, lightheadedness, sleeping disorders, and throwing up.
4. Menstrual Cramps
Cardamom is used to treat a variety of gastrointestinal issues, including stomach convulsions. However, the exact same properties in cardamom that help relieve one kind of stomach spasm can intensify another type. If you struggle with agonizing menstrual cramps, cardamom might increase the intensity of your cramps. Increase the quantity of water you drink throughout your duration to avoid dehydration and decrease the seriousness of your menstrual cramps.
Drinking enough water is crucial to keeping great total health and preventing dehydration. If consumed in big amounts, cardamom can have a mild diuretic effect, triggering you to urinate more often than usual. Cardamom dehydration can take place if you do not consume more water while consuming cardamom-flavored foods or taking cardamom supplements, so make sure you drink more water.
Pregnant women must prevent cardamom since it might promote the uterus, triggering miscarriages or early labor. Cardamom supplements likewise increase stomach acid levels and heartburn, which some pregnant ladies already experience without adding herbs that make these signs even worse.
7. Blood Thinning
Cardamom might increase the threat of bleeding in people who take anticoagulant medications because it appears to have blood-thinning properties, according to the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center. Examples of anticoagulants include warfarin, clopidogrel, and aspirin. If you take among these medications, do not use cardamom without very first consulting your medical professional.
Cardamom may increase insulin levels and lower blood sugar levels in people with diabetes. According to a post published in “Food Chemistry” in April 2007, “hypoglycemia” can trigger hypoglycemia in some individuals. If you have diabetes and take medication that reduces blood sugar levels, don’t use cardamom without very first consulting your physician, as it could cause an unsafe drop in your blood glucose level.
Cardamom might affect blood sugar levels and could disrupt blood sugar level control throughout and after surgical treatment. Cardamom may decrease the main nerve system. There is issue that it may trigger basic anesthesia to work less well. Stop utilizing cardamom at least 2 weeks before an arranged surgery.
Cardamom is a spice that has a very strong aroma and a sweet taste. It can be utilized to taste curries, beverages, and desserts. Cardamom is available in two types– as pods or ground. The pods contain little brown seeds that are utilized in cooking, but the entire pods can also be utilized to add taste to hot beverages such as masala chai. Ground cardamom is typically added to baked goods such as cakes and cookies, or it can be sprinkled on oatmeal or rice pudding.
There is currently no suggested everyday allowance (RDA) for cardamom due to the fact that there have actually not sufficed research studies performed on people to develop an appropriate consumption level. However, the recommended day-to-day consumption of cardamom is around 1 to 3 grams, or in between 1/4 and 3/4 teaspoon.
If you’re concerned about any of the possible negative effects or interactions of cardamom, talk with your medical professional before adding the spice to your diet plan.
What Is The Alternative to Cardamom?
Cardamom has a really distinct taste that is difficult to miss. Just a small amount of the spice includes an extreme taste to savory dishes and desserts. If you do not have any on hand, there are better replacements than others.
Green Cardamom or Black Cardamom?
The two primary types of cardamom are green and black, which are used in various dishes. As a substitute for either, you can use the other kind of cardamom, but the result will be different. When using either one in place of the other, use half as much as the recipe requires.
You can also substitute green cardamom with equivalent quantities of cinnamon or allspice. Both will provide you comparable tastes, if not similar ones. If your recipe uses both ground and entire black cardamom pods, utilize one teaspoon of cinnamon for each pod that is required in the recipe. Allspice will work much better in sweeter recipes, particularly baked products and puddings, however it can also be utilized in place of green cardamom in savory dishes like curries.
If you run out cardamom and require to make an alternative immediately, blend together 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon cloves. 
Special Preventative Measures and Warnings
- When taken by mouth: Cardamom is LIKELY SAFE when taken in quantities commonly discovered in food. It is POSSIBLY SAFE when taken in the larger quantities discovered in medicine.
- When breathed in: It is POSSIBLY SAFE to breathe the vapor from cardamom necessary oil as aromatherapy. Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Cardamom is perhaps hazardous when taken by mouth as a medicine during pregnancy. There is concern that taking cardamom might trigger a miscarriage. There isn’t enough trustworthy details to know if cardamom is safe to utilize when breast-feeding. Remain on the safe side and stay with food quantities.
- Gallstones: If you have gallstones, do not take cardamom in amounts greater than those normally discovered in food. The cardamom seed can trigger gallstone colic (spasmodic pain). 
Supplement/Herb/Nutrient-drug interactions can be harmful and, in unusual cases, even life-threatening. Constantly consult your physician before supplementing and let them learn about all drugs and supplements you are utilizing or considering.
There were a couple of reports in which patients with high cardamom consumption excreted red blood cells through their urine (hematuria). Patients taking anticoagulant or antiplatelet medications need to be particularly conscious of their cardamom intake.
Since cardamom can reduce cholesterol substantially by itself, patients prescribed medication to reduce their cholesterol needs to take care about combining those treatments with cardamom. The very same is true for patients taking medication to lower blood pressure. 
Though cardamom is a seasonal crop, its growth behaviour resembles more to a biennial crop in the sense that vegetative phase (tillers) emerging in one year turns into reproductive phase during the 2nd year and produce panicles, flowers and pills. Cardamom, being cultivated as an undergrowth with shade trees, competitors for inputs amongst them makes nutritional management a crucial practice in understanding optimum yield of the crop. Escalation in cost of fertilizers makes necessary their use in an effective and economic manner. Even though there exists higher need for different spices produced through natural cultivation practices, the demand for organic cardamom is not much at present. Nevertheless, production of cardamom through low input sustainable agriculture including integrated nutrient management system including use of numerous sort of natural manures and bio-fertilizers need to be focused on in today day context of conservation of natural ecosystem and environmental protection.