Table of Contents
Barley grass is the young leaf of the barley plant (Hordeum vulgare). Sometimes referred to as “barley leaves” or “barley green,” barley grass is abundant in chlorophyll and antioxidants (such as lutonarin and saponarin), and also includes gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), ferulic acid, vitamins, and minerals.
Barley grass is utilized as an active ingredient at numerous juice bars. In addition, natural-food shops often sell bottled juice beverages consisting of barley grass juice. Some shops likewise sell packages that allow you to grow your own barley grass for juicing.
In Japan, green juices made with active ingredients like young barley grass juice are called “aojiru,” and are extensively taken in to boost health.2 Barley grass powder (a dehydrated kind of barley grass extract), barley grass capsules, and barley grass tablets are sold in numerous natural-food stores and in stores focusing on dietary supplements.
Barley Grass Nutrition Facts
3 teaspoons of barley grass juice powder (5g) supply 20 calories, 2g of protein, 2g of carbohydrates, and 0g of fat. Barley juice is an excellent source of vitamin A, iron, and magnesium. The following nutritional data is from the USDA.
- Calories: 20
- Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 2g
- Fiber: 0g
- Sugars: 1g
- Protein: 2g
- vitamin A: 950IU
- iron: 1.1 mg
- magnesium: 25mg
Three teaspoons of barley grass juice powder contain 2 grams of carbohydrates, none of which originates from fiber. There has to do with 1 gram of natural sugars in this serving size.
Barley grass juice powder is fat-free.
Barley grass juice powder has 2 grams of protein in a three-teaspoon serving.
Vitamins and Minerals
Barley grass juice powder is particularly high in vitamin A, with 20% of your everyday recommended intake (based upon a 2,000 calorie diet plan) in just 3 teaspoons. It is likewise a good source of riboflavin, potassium, iron, and magnesium.
3 teaspoons of barley grass juice powder (5g) supply 20 calories, half of which come from carbohydrates and the other half from protein. 1.
Barley grass is rich in amino acids, which are important building blocks for proteins in the body. The nine vital amino acids barley grass supplies assists the body repair muscles, capillary, and even bone marrow. (1 ).
Barley grass is also a good source of:
The important amino acids in barley grass are total, making it one of the most nutrient-dense foods in the world. Many plants do not offer all the vital amino acids that the body requirements. Barley grass can provide every amino acid, assisting individuals who eat plant-based diets to get the nutrition they need.
How to Prepare Barley Grass?
Barley grass is usually taken in as part of a juice, due to the fact that the texture can be undesirable to eat. You can grow your own barley grass and juice it yourself, or you can buy barley grass extract as a powder. Barley grass juice can be discovered at juice bars, in health food stores, and even in some larger supermarkets around the nation.
If you’re interested in including barley grass juice to your diet plan, think about the following options:.
- Drink barley grass juice on its own
- Include barley grass juice to smoothies
- Include a tablespoon of barley grass powder in protein shakes
- Include barley grass juice to cocktails
- Use barley grass juice in zucchini bread (2 )
9 Advantages of Barley Grass Juice
- It is a powerful anti-oxidant: Antioxidants benefit your heart and they secure your body from all kinds of extreme damage triggered when you are exposed to pollution, cigarette smoking, and certain chemicals.
- It is known to increase the body immune system: The immune system is like an anti-virus for our body. It spots antigens and assists the body to get resistance against them so that the next time when they enter our body, we do not get sick from them.
- It detoxifies the body by releasing additional water: Detoxification is the process of getting rid of hazardous substances from our body. Consumption of Barley Grass juice releases additional water making us fit and fine in no time!
- Deals With Ulcerative Colitis: Consume Barley Grass Juice for a healthy gut. Ulcerative Colitis is a type of bowel disease which results in the swelling of your gastrointestinal tract. The illness often results in the formation of ulcers impacting the inner-most layer of your large intestine and rectum.
- Help Weight reduction indirectly by increasing the metabolism: Metabolic process is essentially the body’s speed of burning calories. Because Barley Grass Juice is abundant in anti-oxidants and helps in efficient detoxification of the body, it assists indirectly and assists you to drop weight. Barley Grass Juice assists in effective detoxification of the body.
- Promotes Bone Health: The health of the bones in our body is determined utilizing a term called ‘Bone Mineral Density’. The greater this density, the better is the condition of our bones. Barley Grass Juice increases this density which makes it a must-have health drink.
- Improves Skin Health: Barley Grass Juice gives your body the much required anti-oxidants which assist in fending off free-radical damage on our skin and therefore, intake of it improves your skin health too.
- Reduces Excess Acidity: Level of acidity occurs when your body produces more than what it needs in regards to acids to digest the food you consume. Usage of Barley Grass Juice assists in balancing out the acid content in your stubborn belly and eases the burning feeling thus triggered.
- It helps in cases of Hyperlipidemia: Hyperlipidemia is a condition caused by high levels of cholesterol in your body. When additional fats accumulate in your blood that is when a person is stated to be suffering from this condition. Regular consumption of Barley Grass Juice helps in improving this condition. Overall, Barley Grass juice is among the many health beverages you can opt for, as it includes a lot of health advantages targeted at keeping you healthy and fit. You can grow the turf in your garden and juice it when you seem like having a glass. Else, you can even buy it from the marketplace. Club this health drink with a well balanced diet plan and you won’t require anything else to stay in top shape! (3 )
Additional Surprising Benefits Of Barley Grass
May Relieve Ulcerative Colitis
Barley grass is a valuable herb in dealing with ulcerative colitis attributing to its revitalizing impact on gut-friendly bacteria. It has been found to assist in easing inflammation and other associated symptoms linked in ulcerative colitis by decreasing the provocative chemicals in the bowel. This nutrient-rich food might also help in balancing the fluidity in the bowel and eliminating built up toxins from the body.
May Increase Immunity
Barley grass may support boosting the immune defense reaction of the body. Routine usage offers the needed nutrition which is essential for stabilizing the ideal production of immune cells in the body. An efficient and strong immune defense system vigilantly combats infections and avoids the advancement of chronic inflammatory diseases.
May Have Anti-cancer Possible
Barley grass has been try out in various diet plans for chronic disease avoidance. A research study published in the Biomedical Journal in 2017 states that Korean scientists found that barley grass extract triggered apoptosis of breast and prostate cancer cells and might be useful for cancer treatment throughout healing interventions. While these results are appealing, its anti-cancer residential or commercial properties have yet to be fully checked out.
May Protect versus UV Radiation
Another beneficial effect of barley grass is its possibly protective action against the cell destructing effects of UV radiation. It extends a restorative relief on the existing harmed cell owing to the presence of superoxide dismutase enzymes.
It may likewise act defensively versus the results of radioactivity; some attribute this to the existence of chlorophyll material, which may enhance the resistance to radioactivity and also encourages the production of new members cells. For this reason, it is usually recommended to drink barley grass juice pre and post-exposure to x-rays to offer extra security (along with suitable individual protective equipment) versus the radioactive damage.
Might Battle Dependency
Barley grass is likewise thought about a natural home remedy for fighting different kinds of dependencies. The existence of glutamic acid in it is stated to hinder the craving for alcohol, coffee, nicotine, drugs, and even sweet sweets. Nevertheless, for those with a harmful addiction, it is best to seek medical attention in combination with this house treatment.
Might Reduce Indications of Aging
Barley grass is thought about a natural way to stimulate the regeneration of cells with no side effects– and lower signs of aging. Important elements such as chlorophyll, vitamin B, iron, and phycocyanin, a blue pigment in barley grass, enhance the bone marrow and support the creation of white and red blood cells. This renewing effect of barley grass also helps in reducing the signs of aging by revitalizing the aging cells and assisting to preserve healthy and youthful skin.
Barley grass is utilized worldwide in soups and stews, and for making barley bread. Barley is also used in the production of malted items, such as malted milk, white wine, and beer.
Apart from an excellent series of usage for people, barley grass is likewise used to make hay and fodder for animals.
Word of Caution: Although barley grass is generally safe, some people might respond sensitively to the barley grain with signs consisting of throwing up, itching, and burning feeling in the throat and mouth. Those people ought to avoid making use of barley grass or discuss it with a medical specialist to much better understand if this is allergy-related.
Gluten in Grains
While pure barley grass, with no grains, contains no gluten at all, people struggling with celiac illness must generally prevent the usage of barley items made from the grain as they might consist of gluten protein. Celiac illness interferes with the absorption of important nutrients in the body and might lead to major complications related to the brain, liver, and the nerve system.
Natural care prior to attempting barley grass for the first time is constantly suggested especially when the sensitivity is not known. Throughout special conditions such as pregnancy and lactation, it is recommended to speak with a professional to comprehend the suitable dosage and results of barley grass to avoid any issues. (4 ).
Barley and your hair
Healthy hair is a part of a healthy body. The shortage of nutrients or a prolonged disease can adversely impact your hair. Barley contains all the crucial nutrients, including proteins, carbs, dietary fiber along with vitamins and antioxidants, that are important for hair health and provides the following hair care benefits.
1. Restores Hair Colour:
The intake of green barley grass assists in restoring your hair color. Moreover, barley consists of the mineral copper that is involved in the development of melanin, a pigment which provides color to your hair.
2. Promotes Hair Development:
Barley is rich in the micronutrients, thiamin and niacin, that help in hair development. It also includes Procyanidin B-3, which is separated from barley and recognized as a hair development stimulant.
3. Fights Loss Of Hair:
Anemia is among the most typical reasons for hair loss. Barley contains the minerals iron and copper, which boost the production of red cell, therefore warding off anemia and, subsequently, stimulating hair development. (5 ).
How To Grow Barley Grass Indoors For Juicing
Growing barley grass in your home is as easy and affordable as growing wheat lawn, and some individuals discover they choose the taste of barley grass juice to wheat turf juice, for its milder taste. Barley sprouts and the juice you can make are a natural antioxidant as well as a natural metabolic process booster. Follow the steps below to begin growing your own barley grass in your home and make homemade barley grass juice!
TYPES OF BARLEY GRASS
There are numerous types of barley grass and there are various ways to classify each type. The very best method to differentiate barley grass types is to count the grains when the yard is fully grown. Each type has a various variety of grains. The various types don’t alter the structure of the yard itself, so the kind of barley grass you choose has little impact on the final juice.
PRODUCTS FOR GROWING BARLEY GRASS
- Jar or bowl for soaking
- 1 cup Barley Seeds
- 10×10-inch Clean growing tray, with holes for draining pipes:
- Plastic food tray from deli, thoroughly cleaned
- Growing tray from garden supply store
- Ornamental planter (for growing ornamental grass)
- Soil enriched with fertilizer, compost, or azomite, if essential
- Plastic cover with air shaft or extra tray to utilize as tray cover
HOW TO PROCEDURE BARLEY SEEDS FOR YOUR TRAY SIZE
1 cup of barley seeds ( 1/2 lb) is enough for a 10×10-inch tray and grows adequate turf to make about 10 ounces of barley grass juice. If your tray is a different size, change the quantity of seeds appropriately.
GUIDELINES FOR GROWING BARLEY GRASS
Follow instructions for Sprouting Barley and sprout just till tails start to show. Avoid over-sprouting or sprouts might not root in the soil for growing barley grass.
- Include a 1/2- to 1-inch layer of soil to growing tray.
- Water gently to moisten soil. Prevent overwatering to the point puddles form.
- Sprinkle seeds equally across soil, breaking up clumps as needed.
- Sprinkle loose soil over seeds.
- Place tray in a location with indirect light, at 60-80ºf.
- Cover with a plastic cover with air shaft to create a greenhouse effect. Ensure lid is high enough to permit lawn to grow 1-2 inches.
- Water daily, prevent overwatering. Utilizing a spray bottle is a great watering technique till seeds root and turf starts to grow.
- After lawn is 1-2 inches, remove cover, about day 4.
- Continue to water daily, carefully to prevent destructive young grass.
HARVESTING BARLEY GRASS FOR JUICING
- Harvest lawn at any point, typically about 6 inches tall, for juicing.
- Use scissors to cut yard simply above roots.
- Juice right away.
- If wanted, let the grass grow a 2nd blade, for a second harvest. Nutritional content of lawn from the 2nd harvest is much lower than yard from the very first harvest. (6 )
11 Severe Negative Effects Of Barley Water
1. Flatus/ Intestinal Gas
Barley is an excellent source of dietary fiber. This may cause digestive tract gas or flatus. The reason behind it is the activities of the advantageous bacteria present in our colon. So, try to restrict your barley water consumption to prevent gas formation.
Excessive usage of barley water might distress the stomach. Barley water can likewise interact with certain medications resulting in stomach upset. In both cases, the stomach inflammation can include small to major signs like pain, cramps, bloating, and in some cases even loose bowels or diarrhea and worsen other IBS symptoms.
If you consume excessive barley water, the opportunities are that you will wind up developing chronic constipation. Make sure that you consult your doctor in case the issue continues for more than 7 days at a time.
4. Rectal Bleeding
In serious case of irregularity, you may experience rectal bleeding with acute pain. Attempt to prevent consuming this natural laxative wholesale amount to avoid such circumstances.
5. Fungal Contamination
It has been reported that barley water can lead to fungal contamination from time to time. Certain pollutants found in the malt extract are Trichothecium Roseum and Ochratoxin A. These toxins can take a toll on our bones by breaking them down.
Allergic reactions to barley water are also rather common. If you currently struggle with hypersensitivity or allergic reaction in the current past, it is time to regulate your day-to-day usage of barley water. Or else, you might experience a variety of signs like rashes, swelling, hives, inflammation along with swelling of eyes, eyelids, nose, arms, legs, and even anaphylaxis.
7. Bakers’ Asthma
The grain of barley can cause a severe breathing allergy called ‘bakers’ asthma’. Individuals working in pastry shops are prone to this condition. But you can also fall victim to it if you are exposed to great deals of barley flour while preparing your barley water. So, be careful.
8. Blocked/ Ruptured Esophagus
Being loaded with fiber, barley can harm your esophagus too. Whenever preparing your drink, ensure that you include sufficient water to the extract of the malt. Otherwise, you might face trouble in swallowing, which can eventually block or even rupture your esophagus.
9. Celiac Illness
Celiac disease is generally wheat allergy, which is triggered due to gluten intolerance. Barley contains a big amount of gluten, thereby making the condition even worse.
10. Minimized Blood Sugar Level
Overconsumption of barley water can reduce the quantity of sugar in your bloodstream. If it goes under the normal level, you will develop hypoglycemia. So, attempt to keep a close eye on your blood glucose level while consuming barley water regularly.
11. Surgical Complications
As barley water can cause an abrupt fall in your blood glucose levels, you should always take precautions prior to going through surgery. It is recommended that you stop having the beverage at least 10 to 14 days prior to going under the knife. It might help you manage your blood sugar level so that you can keep all sorts of surgical problems at bay. (7 ).
What is the recommended dose?
A dosage of 15 g/day dried barley leaf extract has actually been used to lower cholesterol.
Contraindications have not yet been determined.
Info relating to safety and effectiveness in pregnancy and lactation is doing not have. (8 ).
Special Measures & Warnings
Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Barley is LIKELY SAFE when taken by mouth during pregnancy in amounts frequently found in foods. Nevertheless, barley sprouts are perhaps UNSAFE and must not be consumed in high amounts during pregnancy.
There is not enough trusted information about the safety of taking barley if you are breast-feeding. Remain on the safe side and prevent use.
Celiac illness or gluten level of sensitivity: The gluten in barley can make celiac illness worse. Prevent using barley.
Allergies to cereal grains: Consuming barley may trigger an allergic reaction in people who are sensitive to other cereal grains, consisting of rye, wheat, oat, corn and rice.
Diabetes: Barley might lower blood sugar levels. Your diabetes medications might need to be changed by your healthcare provider.
Surgery: Barley may lower blood sugar level levels. There is a concern that it may interfere with blood sugar control throughout and after surgical treatment. Stop using barley a minimum of 2 weeks before an arranged surgical treatment. (9 ).
Barley grass may sometimes be abundant in vitamin K, which interferes with the action of anticoagulants such as Coumadin (the brand for warfarin, a substance abuse to treat and prevent embolism ). Other than an allergy, there are no known unfavorable results attributed to barley grass. (10 ).